Friday, September 11, 2015

A great Day in June - A fond memory

Good morning everyone in "Green" cyberspace.  I'm having a lot of fun here promoting sustainable living and good health.  It's something so important to me and with having three kids who are all awesome and healthy I am so blessed.  Not to say there have not been things over the years that have come up, like my daughter Melanie's early struggle with ITP and childhood epilepsy, and my daughter Juliet's ongoing struggle with Rheumatoid Arthritis (which is especially difficult for an athlete like her.) But I believe that healthy eating and a strong sense of being and belonging to a loving home and practicing healthy habits, attributed to the general overall welfare of my kids and myself too.

Although today is the 14th anniversary of a terrible event in our country's history, I'd like to take this opportunity to tell a brief story on a more positive note, that I recall, inspired from today's article on the front page of the SF Chronicle Sports section.

The article talks about the 111 year old Dipsea Trail Race, held annually in the Muir Woods just north of San Francisco.  The race is about 7 miles (one way) over the mountain from the Muir woods to Stinson Beach on the other side.  Along the way, you traverse amazingly difficult trails, hills, and approximately 685 "steps" known as the Dipsea Steps. (They are mostly just slippery railroad ties.)

This is a beautiful trail and run right through the forest. Words cannot describe the beauty and atmosphere of this place.

The year was 1999, and it was the day before Father's Day and my Uncle Joe's wedding.  My wife Katie, and children Melanie, Nathan (my Son) and Juliet and I were visiting the Muir Woods trail for the first time.  As soon as we got there, Nathan reached out and touched a stinging Nettle, and let out a scream I heard from the parking lot.  After a little while, and some cool water, were were able to resume our hike, when two amazing things happened. First my daughter Julie took her first steps unattended, right there in the magical Muir Woods! What a great Father's Day gift. Next, I happened upon the trailhead for the formally elusive Dipsea Trail. Wow! I couldn't believe it was right here.  I had been reading and hearing about it over the years but never made the connection to the Woods here.

So the next morning I was off, to run the seven miles to the Beach, and hitchhike back to the car and hightail it to my Uncle's wedding.  Well, let's just say it didn't quite work out that way.  After telling the Park Ranger where I was going so he could send out a search party if necessary, I was off.  I made it up the steps, over the hill and to the beach.  I dumped the rocks out of my shoes and waited by the side of PCH for a lift back.  After about 15 minutes with no cars, I decided that water or not, I needed to head back or I might not make the wedding.  I ran back over that friggin hill, without any water, in June, and missed the entire ceremony and part of the reception. Sorry Joe and Diane.




 Oh well, it still ranks as one of my best days and happiest memories.

Have a great day!

What are your "3 Green Things"?

No comments:

Post a Comment